Bartok: Piano Concerto No. 1
DGG SLPM 138708
Format: 1LP 180g 33rpm / standard sleeve
Manufacturer: Speakers Corner
Original label: Deutsche Grammophon
Release Date: 2015-03-02
Status: in stock
Béla Bartók: Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 1, Rhapsody for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 1 - Géza Anda and the Radio Symphonie Orchester Berlin conducted by Ferenc Fricsay
Between Bartók’s Rhapsody for Piano and his First Piano Concerto lie 22 years of development, a struggle to find subject matter, form and his own musical language. While the Rhapsody from 1904 is dominated by a late-Romantic tone, which delights in a free, craggy and capricious feast of affable harmonies, the Piano Concerto reflects contemplation and a delving into the formal strictness of the classical three-movement concerto form. Rather less concerto-like and unconventional is, however, the use of the piano as a percussion instrument, which after just a few bars on the winds, hammers out an unrelenting staccato against the harsh and dissonant orchestra. In the slow movement too the piano is predominantly employed as a percussion instrument that, like the pendulum of a clock, rhythmically bulldozes on against the cheerless, bleak winds. Wild emotion predominates in the Finale. Stormy, insistent figures in the piano are answered by the orchestra with animated blows, but the quick flashes of melodies cannot establish themselves and are slashed to pieces as if caught in a storm.
This uncompromising severity presents an enormous challenge that is mastered with aplomb by Géza Anda and the RSO Berlin under Ferenc Fricsay. Bartók’s musical language is milder and more accessible in his Second and Third Piano Concertos, which are now available in a new pressing from Speakers Corner Records (DGG 138 111).
This Speakers Corner LP was remastered using pure analogue components only, from the master tapes through to the cutting head. More information under http://www.pure-analogue.com. All royalties and mechanical rights have been paid.
Recording: October 1960 at Jesus-Christus-Kirche, Berlin, by Günter Hermanns
Production: Otto Gerdes